Sunday, December 4, 2011

Chug-a-lug



My latest obsession is so campy I should be ashamed, but I'm not. It is a beverage serving vessel known by several names: The Glug Jug, The Gurgle Pot, The Gluggle Jug or The Gurgling Pitcher. It is a pitcher molded in the shape of a fish and when you pour out your beverage it makes a "gulp, gulp, gulp" sound that I find so satisfying. My Mother-in-Law who is a entertainment and dinner party maven introduced them to me. Apparently these tabletop gems have quite a legacy dating back to the 1870's in England. They became a popular novelty item when a pair of these jugs were presented to Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip in 1958. Another theory connects their origin to France but I'm betting with the English on this one (too kitsch to be French). Anyway this is a great addition to any table setting and they come in a variety of styles. The classic one is in the shape of a fish. But I found others in the shape of orcas and gators. Roosters are also available. To see these finds in action click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment