Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Butta' Baby. Ohhh Yeah.


OK. So we all know that two things make restaurant food taste better, salt and butter. A more specific explanation specifies clarified butter. Clarified butter goes by the name of ghee in South Asian circles. It is butter that is simmered until golden and filtered of the solids that settle at the bottom. I feel like I have broken a culinary code but the difference became so apparent to me this week when I made homemade buttermilk pancakes last week. I love a pancake with crispy edges, the appearance of splattered webbing and a oh so fluffy interior. I fear and loath non-stick pans but opted to use one and the results were my definition of perfection. Here are the results.

Again the primary contributor to my delicate and delicious creation was clarified butter which I found at Whole Foods. You do not need to use much but it really adds a delicate crispiness to anything you cook. I used it pan fry some salmon. The skin came out super crisp and delicious. Remember a little goes a long way. If you do not have a Whole Foods in your area you can order some here or here.

No comments:

Post a Comment