Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Huckleberry

On a weekend morning breakfast run I opted to go to Huckleberry in Santa Monica. This establishment opened in February. The owners are made up of the husband and wife team of Rustic Canyon Wine Bar and Seasonal Kitchen owner Josh Loeb and pastry chef Zoe Nathan. Nathan has been named as a James Beard semifinalist in the Outstanding Pastry Chef category. Needless to say my expectations were pretty high. The decor is minimalist rustic-modern. The staff was friendly but I could barely hear them since it was so loud. The presentation was abundant. Every table was packed. Most items on the menu were about $12 and it featured the current LA restaurant staple of Niman Ranch meat items.

I ordered a caramelized onion frittata. It was gorgeous in appearance. It was pleasant enough but not love at first bite nor was it at any bite after the first. I also ordered a round cinnamon sugar doughnut and a chocolate croissant. Both were scrumdeliumptious. The croissant was crispy and buttery. The doughnut was not overly sweet and was nicely balanced with the sugar cinnamon dusting. Clearly the pastries were the highlight. I love that Huckleberry sources their products from local vendors. I also have an appreciation for simplicity in food but when I'm paying for it (especially when it's a egg dish) I like to have some level of culinary wizardry unleashed. The wizard needs a new wand.

Huckleberry
1014 Wilshire Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90404
Phone: (310) 451-2311
www.huckleberrybakery.com




No comments:

Post a Comment